Saturday, 24 January 2015

Better to be you

First blog posts are always tricky I find. It's hard to decide how to start off and what to write about.
Perhaps I should start with the title of my blog. Originally I had wanted to do a blog to count all the blessings in my life, but unfortunately I have a hard time with doing that. I have a bad habit of stressing out and worrying.
So I changed my blog to be about how it's better to be you.
Let me explain: Everyone is unique, everyone is special. And my opinion is that that is the best way to be. No matter what colour your skin, your height, your weight, your beliefs and your opinions, it's just better to be you. Don't try to change yourself for anyone.. Except yourself.

Why do I feel the need to write about stuff like this? Because so often I have tried to change for someone else or have seen others do the same. It's taken me until very recently to accept that I'm perfect just the way I am. I actually have my husband to thank for that. Until he came along I was insecure, my confidence was lacking and I was almost always anxious about something.
I stopped being true to myself in several cases. In high school, in college and while I dated a less than pleasant man are the times that stand out the most.
I'm quiet, a little shy. Not very outgoing. But that's what I tried so hard to be even though it felt scary and uncomfortable.

I know that what I did to fit was and is very little in comparison to what others have done. I know that speaking out when you normally wouldn't is nothing in comparison to altering your appearance.

The worst was when I spent just over a year trying hard to be someone that wasn't quite me for a boy (I know I said man before, but in reality, he wasn't much of a man). And I thought that when that ended my heart was broken and that I just hadn't been good enough. I tried dating again not long after because a friend encouraged (a.k.a. pushed) me to date again. But it still didn't feel totally like me. I felt lost.
And then that same friend introduced me to the man I'm married to now.
My husband is not what he appears either. But he never pretended to be anything or anyone different than he is.
I was very unsure about him at first. And even more unsure of myself. Would he like me for me or was I going to wind up changing myself just to impress him? He surprised me. And I surprised me.
And I never had to change who I was to make him like me or love me.

And that's when I realized that I was better just being me. And why I felt the need to write a blog about being yourself.
So whether you're tall, short (or vertically challenged as I like to say), thin, fat, or somewhere in the middle, you're you and that's what makes you special. Same goes for skin colour, hair colour, eye colour and so on and so on.
You can be crafty, you can be artsy. You can be super smart or just a smarty pants.
It's just better if you stay true to who you are and embrace yourself.

Sounds preachy I guess. But please don't take it that way. It's certainly not meant to be.
I think next time I post I'll write a bit more about skills and talents. Who knows? Haha!

See you next time!

Ps: This only took me a full 24 hours to write by the way. Ah the joys of an active baby. Haha!




No comments:

Post a Comment